Re: Evaluation Criteria for Technical Writing Assistant

Subject: Re: Evaluation Criteria for Technical Writing Assistant
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:01:35 -0500

"Expect"? I wouldn't think you could "expect" much at all... why should
you? Has she had any technical writing training or education? What does a
technical writing assistant do? Make copies? Her work has to be judged by
the SAME criteria as any other writer, but it's very unfair to her, as
well as to the other experienced writers, to simply give her a title and
expect her to produce at a professional level without training.

If she really wants to become a technical writer and your company neither
requires nor is willing to pay for her education, give her some really
awful docs (you can find lots of them on the 'net) to rewrite. Then have a
couple of experienced writers review her rewrites with her, inch by inch,
listening to her describe her decisions and making their own suggestions.
Then, as a company, commit to her to mentor her and train her.