Re: Hiring Criteria, Writing Tests, and Drug Tests

Subject: Re: Hiring Criteria, Writing Tests, and Drug Tests
From: Sigrid Schoepel <sschoepe -at- adacgeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:42:41 -0500

I was the tech comm manager at a different company and had to hire three
writers. Given my budget and the area of the US, I knew I could only hire people
with limited experience. These people would have few, if any, writing samples.
So a writing test was in order. It gave me a good idea of how well and how fast
they could put together information.

I was pushed to interview a friend of some co-workers. This person did not have
an English or Communications degree but was computer-savvy and a good writer
according to the friends. After an hour (the time given the all interviewees),
this person had nothing on paper and nothing on the computer. I allowed more
time--gave a sample and let the person turn in the writing test by noon the next
day. The person called at noon to ask for more time.

Given the project's timeframe and the minimum level of knowledge that I needed
in the writers, this person did not get the job. Saying "he didn't complete the
writing test" stands up a little better in some instances than "I didn't like
her writing samples."

Sigrid

P.S. The test? Explain how to use the office chair in which you're sitting.

--
Sigrid Schoepel
ADAC Laboratories, Radiation Therapy Products

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software.