Re: Hiring Criteria, Writing Tests, and Drug Tests

Subject: Re: Hiring Criteria, Writing Tests, and Drug Tests
From: Annamaria Profit <inteltek -at- erols -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:08:10 -0400

Janet,

You make a good point. I agree with you, there seem to be at least two
dominant (but not exclusive) styles of approaching tasks, including
interviewing. They seem to be the linear " if, then..." "objective"
style, and the dynamic, inuitive, "ambiguous", freewheeling style. I
think we're all more comfortable in one mode vs the other. But it takes
a balanced approach I think. Some candidates, especially at the
executive level, are very skilled interviewees, to the point of complete
control of the interviewer. Some objective measures will at least
produce a more balanced view. And in the end, it comes down to what the
interviewer and the business wants and what the company believes the
candidate can contribute. Most times there's a tradeoff, especially as
the stakes and the needs get higher. There is no easy answer, no
perfect choice.

And, as a candidate who on at least one occasion has been offered or
taken the wrong job, I can tell you even with multiple interviewers in
the room, or multiple intervews, sometimes you just make the wrong
choice. You never really know until you're in the workplace.

--

Annamaria Profit
E-mail: inteltek -at- erols -dot- com

Celebrate failure! It's a critical element of learning.