Re: Screen captures crash my image processor

Subject: Re: Screen captures crash my image processor
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Curtis Brautigam <curtisb -at- nurserysupplies -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:26:23 -0400

1. Defrag religiously. If you are on an NT workstation, this requires a
third-party plugin. We use Diskeeper, but I'm sure there are others.
Mine is set to run daily on the drives I use most.

2. Have your support folks set up a partition on your hard drive, or
install a separate drive, that you then identify to PhotPaint as your
scratch disk. Leave tons of free space on this disk. Preferably, don't
put any other files on it.

3. When you are getting set to do screen grabs, reboot your machine and
start only the applications you need to capture and process the grabs
(i.e., the application you are documenting and PhotoPaint. Don't start
your browser. Don't start your email client. Don't start Frame. Don't
start Distiller. If those applications start automatically when you
reboot, change the registry settings so they don't.

4. When you actually capture a screen, take a couple of deep breaths
before alt-tabbing to PhotoPaint (give the processor time to catch up
with disk swaps, etc.)

Dick