RE: The OTHER Test

Subject: RE: The OTHER Test
From: Mark Baker <MBaker -at- TIMELINE -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:08:29 -0700

On credit checks, FWIW: I worked for awhile in a credit card transaction
processing company. Everyone being considered for a management-level
position or above, and all employees in certain departments (those who could
actually _move_ funds electronically), were required to submit to credit
checks. The stated reason: To identify anyone with a history of (or a
tendency toward? or a reason for?) fraud, embezzlement and the like. I
didn't like the policy, but I understood the reasons for it. If you were
giving someone the power to send, with a few keystrokes, millions of dollars
to the account of his or her choice, wouldn't you want to make sure said
person was not last seen on "America's Most Wanted?"

Regards,

Mark Baker
Timeline, Inc.
Bellevue, WA