Re: best self-teaching materials

Subject: Re: best self-teaching materials
From: Barry Kieffer <bkieffer -at- ims -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:53:28 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings Parian4 -at- aol -dot- com and TECHWR-Ls,

Here is a (somewhat rhetorical) question for you TECHWR-Ls.

One piece of crap that has always bugged me is where some manager decides that
only the "Golden Child" gets to go to some conference or seminar, then spend a
day putting together a crappy PowerPoint presentation on what the speaker said,
and then presenting it to the rest of the tech writing group.

Where is it that some schlub can go to a single-source conference and come back
with new vast knowledge and empowered to teach the masses everything they
learned? Monkey Crap.

Do we really need to hear secondhand and filtered that: "Tufte was somewhat
interesting, but what he said does not apply to "our" tech writing department."

Darn, I am ranting... Harsh...

But what Parian4 said below really hits below the belt. This whole concept of
"we can only send one of you" (The Golden Child) so the other(s) have to fend
for themselves.

Comments?

> Parian4 writes:
> I'm one of two technical writers at my company, and it looks like the
> administration is going to pay for training just for the other person.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Ranting in cold wet Portland