RE: Forcing FrameMaker to save backups to named folders...

Subject: RE: Forcing FrameMaker to save backups to named folders...
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:17:28 -0700

Max said:

> Keep in mind that the main reason for the backup document is to
> provide a backup in order to minimize the lost work when something
> goes wrong. That also means that if you are working in a rock-solid
> environment and do frequent saves, you could even not do any backup
> documents at all (if I remember correctly, there is an option to
> suppress those documents).

Eeeeek! Max! No computer environment is rock solid! It's the nature
of the beast! I'd advise the original poster to schedule a copy
routine to store those FM bkup files on an area of the network that
gets backed up regularly.

I use a version control system that stores multiple versions of my
documents on an area of the network that is regularly backed up and
I'm in the habit of checking my work in to the system nightly. If
something happens to the doc I'm working on, I can check yesterday's
version out of the VC system and I'm up and running. (and that's
happened a lot!)

If something happens to the VC system (and that's happened once or
twice, too), I can ask the sysadm to restore a particular directory
from backup and I'm up and running again in no time flat.

Murphy's law. Protect yourself!

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com

"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."
-- Douglas Adams
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy