Re: So...how do I break into tech writing?

Subject: Re: So...how do I break into tech writing?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Randy Smith <randysmith101 -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 07:55:49 -0700 (PDT)

> What I would really like to do is go to Silicon Valley for a few
> years and make a ton of money.

Randy...then I would suggest that you hijack a payroll truck on the
way to one of the dot.coms. That is not the mindset to have to
approach this field. Your creditials are better than average for
someone just getting into the business, but only slightly. Someone
with 3 or more years experience will be on par or ahead of you.

OTOH...if you enjoy creating technical documentation of any form
(paper, web, help, etc.), then you have the opportunity to make very
good money.

Get into this field because you like it and will be good at it and
you will make money. Get into this field to make money and you will
probably fail.

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer