So...how do I break into tech writing?

Subject: So...how do I break into tech writing?
From: "Randy Smith" <randysmith101 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 12:37:36 CDT

No paid experience at it, but I would like to get into software documentation of some sort. I am graduating with a BS in Computer Science in May; it'll be my 2nd degree--I already have a BA in English.

I have been working at this CS degree parttime on and off for a few years. My grades are great.

When I started out on this degree, I figured I would do programming, and maybe I can get a job doing such, but the more I read about the career prospects in that area, especially since I am now over 40, and with the massive influx of foreign programmers....

But one thing I have that they can never match is verbal ability...with the *English* language, anyway!

I currently proofread documents for a law firm, and I was an English teacher before that; before that I worked with industrial
electronic/mechanical controls.

What I would really like to do is go to Silicon Valley for a few years and make a ton of money.

Any hints, clues, etc.?