Re: Organizational structure - where does Doc sit?

Subject: Re: Organizational structure - where does Doc sit?
From: Kimber Miller <kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:17:30 -0500

Dana:

Writing system specifications is part of what I do as a "Business Analyst." I
also create the necessary user docs, help files, and other stuff necessary. I'm
shifting around in my company, and am bringing a focus on process analysis to
our development lifecycle. We're forming a team that I'm going to call "Project
Services."

We're going to incorporate project management, business analysis writing,
process analysis/documentation, and all the projects that I'm asked to do as
someone's "right brain."

If one can allow the distinction, then writing specs is "technical"
documentation and writing end user docs is "end user" documentation. Some
writers get to do both types for both audiences, some writers focus only on one.
Some writers focus on neither but do training development. If your group does
report into the same area as the Project Managers, then I'd suggest an umbrella
term that incorporates both the writer group and the PM group (like the
inoffensive, vague "Project Services Office"). I understand your reluctance to
be classified as a project manager. It's quite different, despite the amount of
writing!

Good luck,

--Kimber Miller
ACS, Inc.