Re: Subject: Re: Does anyone still use WordPerfect?

Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Does anyone still use WordPerfect?
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:21:44 -0600

> Subject: Re: Does anyone still use WordPerfect?
> From: alan -dot- miller -at- prometric -dot- com
> Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:31:21

>> I just curious if anyone on the list still uses Corel WordPerfect?
In the
>> world of word processing, MS Word is king-of-the-hill, but I know
that
>> WordPerfect has a few features, most notably "Reveal Codes," that
leaves MS
>> Word in the dust.
>>
>> David Berg

> I currently use WordPerfect 6.0 (Novell) for most personal purposes.
I've
> been a user since version 4.0 for DOS. I prefer it to Word (though I
use
> Word professionally, but not by choice) and every other word
processor I've
> used in the mumble, mumble years I've been doing this. I've not
tried the
> Corel versions.

It's been about a year since I last used WordPerfect for a major
project. That was Corel WP 8.

Since then, the organization I did the work for changed its corporate
standard to Word. I was sad to see them make the change, because in
many ways WP is the better program.

One nice feature I think Corel put into version 9 is the ability to
"print" files in .pdf format. (It's definitely present in Corel
Presentations 9, another application in the WP Office suite.)

To give MS some credit, one area where Word is better that WP is in
its multilingual features. Entering an n-tilde in Word, for example,
is just a couple of keystrokes, while in WP its a longer process.
(Or, perhaps I just couldn't find the quick version in WP when I was
showing my step mother how to insert German characters in her letters
home to Germany.)

--

John Fleming
Edmonton, Alberta