Re: FWD: Contracting for IT training course development

Subject: Re: FWD: Contracting for IT training course development
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Annamaria Profit <inteltek -at- erols -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 09:28:59 -0700 (PDT)

> Sometimes clients balk at an hourly rate for long projects. If
> that
> happens, limit the contract to a set number of hours/revisions.

They balk because

1) They know how difficult it is to stay on track and they KNOW they
will end of spending more than they anticipated...which, of course,
means that you end up making less then you should for the amount of
work you are doing.

2) Feature-creep will change the scope to entail more work, which
means they pay more if by the hour, or it is free if by the project.

I believe you cannot have a contract so iron-clad that you cannot end
up with the short end of the stick, simply because scope-changing
issues come along in such small pieces that you don't realize things
have changed until you are sitting there 1am Sunday morning wondering
how the hell you got yourself into this position.

I insist on hourly rate with clearly defined stage deliverables.
You're happy because you are getting paid for your work and the
customer is happy becuase their fate is in their hands. If they move
faster, they might have to pay less. If tyhey want more features as
you go along, there is no guilt in asking for them.

> > I am currently negotiating a contract for me to write content for
> > IT
> > training courses that will be given in person by instructors. Has
> > anyone
> > here done this on a contract basis and if so, what is the basis
> > for charging. Flat rate vs hourly rate.
> > TIA

=====
John Posada