Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics

Subject: Re: SourceSafe and referenced graphics
From: "Stephen Forrest" <techwriter -at- attglobal -dot- net>
To: "Tech Writers List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:41:53 -0400

Hi, thanks for your reply

My question has to do with efficiently working on the same project from
different workstations. We are using FrameMaker, which has no interface
with VSS. Therefore, checking out files and opening them in FM are two
different operations.

We have three people who will be working on the same set of manuals. Our
main book is 600+ pages, densely packed with text and screenshots. Our
project files can reach 300-400 MB.

If the graphics are stored in VSS, a copy of them must exist on the hard
drive in order for a chapter file to be opened correctly. I might mirror
the whole project tree on my hard drive, but I would have to "get" all
the files (including graphics) each time that I wanted to work on a
file, to ensure I have the latest graphics.

I often open a dozen or more chapter files in the course of a day. I
would have to "get" all the graphics for each chapter every time I
opened a chapter. So would each member of the team. Aside from being a
huge waste of time, it would also create a lot of network traffic.

The only solution I have come up with is not very satisfactory. I could
keep the graphics on a network drive, and each of the team members could
link directly to the source graphic. This is OK for us right now, but I
think it would be a nightmare later on if these files are archived, and
if someone wants to open them at a later date.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help, Bye

From: David M. Brown <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
Date: Saturday, July 29, 2000 12:55 PM