Re: Does Frame Suck? (long)

Subject: Re: Does Frame Suck? (long)
From: joemiller -at- canberra -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:58:01 -0400

Maury [benadam -at- cyberdude -dot- com], wrote:

> If you remember Ventura 4.1 -- or, worse yet,
> Corel Ventura 4.2 -- you can understand why
> there was a mad scramble for something easier
> and more robust.

Which is why those of us who use Ventura are so happy with Corel Ventura 8:
it's both easier and more robust, with _excellent_ documentation, both
online help and printed manual.

> if you are using the versions of FrameMaker with
> Adobe's fluky HTML conversion utility, you may cry
> bitter tears over its conversion into Web pages
> that will convert all the heading tags into H6
> tags in HTML.

Ventura 8's HTML output is not only very good to start with, Ventura offers
you the choice of remapping any or all of Ventura's tags to other than the
default HTML tags. Not just by name, but by just about every available
HTML parameter. For instance, many of our standard print documents have a
rule under the title, but we don't want the rule for our web site. So I
remapped that tag to turn off the rule in the HTML output. Ventura does it
without an expensive third party tool.

In the past, Corel didn't do too well at providing bug-free software, but
that's changed in the last several years. So the stories you may have
heard about Ventura (and Draw) crashing a lot are stories of the past.
Does Ventura still crash? Of course it does... because it's running under
Windows. <g> Ventura is memory intensive and Windows doesn't manage memory
very well. Since I learned the hard way, as long ago as WordPerfect 4.2,
that saving often is the way to loss due to crashes, I've had no more
trouble with Ventura than with any other program.

Moreover, Ventura Publisher is probably the most widely used publishing
package in the corporate and professional book production fields
(Addison_Wesley, for instance). It has many strengths due to the unique way
it provides a highly structured approach to the publishing task while also
providing in-depth control over all design elements, more so than any other
publishing program.

Best of all, _all_ of Corel's products, not just Ventura, are supported by
volunteer C_Techs, most of whom own businesses based on the use of Corel's
products in real-world situations, ensuring that their advice is based on
years of experience. Their help is available at no cost on Corel's
technical support newsgroups at:
http://www.corel.com/support/newsgroup.htm

A lot more than two cents worth, but it's a story that had to be told. If
you'd like to know more about Ventura, e-mail me OFF LIST. I'll be glad to
send you a couple of short text files with more detail.

Regards,
Joe Miller
An 11-year veteran of the Ventura wars.

Senior Editor