Re: Photo on Resume site or "Gee, get a load of my navel"

Subject: Re: Photo on Resume site or "Gee, get a load of my navel"
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:06:10 -0700 (PDT)

--- Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com> wrote:
>As
> we know, there's a stigma about submitting resumes
> with photos in North
> America. So, I wondered how potential employers
> would react to this. Would
> they associate it in the same way? Would it be
> beneficial or detrimental or
> have no effect at all?

1. Don't add the picture to the intro page or the same
page as the resume.
2. If the purpose of your site is to present your
resume, don't include the picture.
3. If the site is a personal space, don't worry about
it - you can still create a page (or pages) for your
resume without the picture - and keep those pages
separate from the rest of the site. That way you can
include a link to the resume page without worries
about whether or not there's a picture available for
viewing. If the recruiter wants to go through the
entire site, that's up to him/her.
4. Be careful about the content on the non-resume
pages. Adding or linking to "questionable" material
[like your navel, complete with lint :o)] is the
surest way to lose your chance at the job.

I honestly don't know of any cases in which a resume
posted to a personal home page has landed a job (feel
free to mention any). Most of the time, the resume is
posted so that recruiters can refer to it as a
preliminary measure or when it cannot be sent. You'll
probably find yourself sending it in by one of the
tradition methods (email, fax, or snail mail) -
complete with a cover letter.

If you want to see how I've handled it, click over to
http://angelcities.com/member/jewahe/secretresume/Resume.html

The page itself looks like the other pages in my site,
but there is no obvious link to it from my index page
(see below).

=====
Jeff Hanvey
http://angelcities.com/members/jewahe

"There is fiction in the space between / The lines on your page of memories
Write it down but it doesn't mean / You're not just telling stories"
-Tracy Chapman, Telling Stories

http://mail.yahoo.com/