Re: Word, too [was]Does Frame Suck? From a new user

Subject: Re: Word, too [was]Does Frame Suck? From a new user
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- arrakis -dot- es>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:49:27 +0200

First off, thanks for all the help. As I suspected, all my
foibles and twitches were things that *can* be fixed, worked
around, or just plain avoided. If I worked onsite, I would
have just pestered the local guru for a week and things
would be fine.

If I find myself involved in more Word projects, I will take
the time to learn about bookmarks, fields, macros, etc. For
now, I'm trying to slide through with the minimum... I know
- that's the best way to create a mess.

But here's my point. As somebody who has worked with
FrameMaker since version 3, and who has actually had a
material interest in its success, I tend to be a little
defensive about this oft-made remark... "FrameMaker is sooo
un-intuitive!" The fact of the matter is, *computers* are
un-intuitive. If you want intuitive, grab a pencil... It
can do more than Word OR Frame, although it might take a
while to process some of your documents. Still, you only
have to learn two or three very intuitive commands. It's
cross-platform (for real) and font installation is a snap.

Word is just as un-intuitive as FrameMaker. And Word also
has things that require too many clicks, jerks, winkin',
blinkin', and nod to be considered "modern". When the
answer to something as simple as applying Courier is, "Just
make a macro." I suspect it's a candidate for sarcasm. Both
products are designed in ways that elicit biological
changes... That's my only point here. (Well, that and a
veiled solicitation for help, which I thankfully got!)

Cheers cud