Re: Documenting code

Subject: Re: Documenting code
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:56:57 -0700

Ken -

> Here's a call for help - can anyone out there provide some suggestions,
> point me in the right direction, or offer some sites I could look at for
> examples? I'm told the documentation doesn't have to be perfected, exacting
> every detail of the code, but rather touching the surface - 'The code says
> this, and this is what it means.'

Probably the easiest examples to find are Sun's online docs, which are at
http://docs.sun.com. Once there, you can choose from docs aimed at system
administrators, programming, desktop applications, hardware, and man pages (a
Unix form of documentation that is primarily aimed at programmers). To see some
examples of manuals for developers, browse the Programming section.

In general, when you're writing for developers, you're writing for an audience
that wants to know how to use a tool, how to modify code, how to interface this
system with that system, how to translate from this environment to that
environment. So yes, in general you're after 'the code does this, and this is
what it means.'

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems