Documenting code

Subject: Documenting code
From: "WebFamilies" <kwasden -at- webfamilies -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:22:47 -0600

I'm new to the tech writing world, and have just been assigned the task of
documenting the code/comments of our latest software version. Trouble is,
I've never documented developers' code.

After searching the Techwr-l database for clues, I couldn't find anything
that really touched deeply on the issue.

Here's a call for help - can anyone out there provide some suggestions,
point me in the right direction, or offer some sites I could look at for
examples? I'm told the documentation doesn't have to be perfected, exacting
every detail of the code, but rather touching the surface - 'The code says
this, and this is what it means.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken Wasden
Information Technology - Technical Writer
www.WebFamilies.com