Word 2000

Subject: Word 2000
From: "Daniel Hall" <misterhall -at- prodigy -dot- net>
To: "Writing List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:04:36 -0700

David:

Word 2000, which I've been using for almost eight months, has limited
advantages over earlier versions. While some of the more annoying bugs are
gone, there are still a host of idiosyncratic behaviors that require
constant monitoring.

The auto numbering feature specifically is less buggy. It is now possible to
break from a numbered list, insert a different type of paragraph, and
restart the auto numbering at the next number or letter in the sequence.
Although I must say, it is still not completely "automated." I don't use
templates extensively, so I haven't noticed any changes there.

The production of HTML is worse than ever. Word 2000 makes an attempt (an
extremely poor one, IMO) to implement XML / embedded style sheets. What you
wind up with is hundreds (if not thousands) of unneeded characters in the
HTML. Additionally, the program defaults to font tags, so almost every line
of text is stuck between (unneeded) tags providing font, size, etc. So why,
you ask, is there a style in the heading of the HTML? Good question - ask
Bill. Also, there are numerous "Explorer Only" features, limiting
cross-browser compatibility.

Overall, I wouldn't have paid to upgrade. But the program (MS Office SBE)
was included with a laptop I purchased, so I switched.

If you've more specific questions, you can e-mail me off list.

HTH

Dan Hall
danhall -at- consultant -dot- com