DemoShield

Subject: DemoShield
From: RWS <rshade -at- fast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:54:34 -0400

It all depends on the scope of your project. I looked at using Demoshield for such a project last year - certainly doesn't have the flexibility of Director but there's always a chance you don't need anything more than what Demoshield offers.

Right now I'm winding up a narrated "demo" project consisting of multiple .avi files created using Camtasia and a shareware audio editor named Acoustica (the DubIt editor that comes with Camtasia lacks a few features to make it as useful as I like). I then used ForeHelp to build a Winhelp "shell" which installs the drivers, modifies the Windows registry, changes the screen resolution, and runs the videos-- all at the touch of a few buttons (and some macros, of course). The result is that you wouldn't know it was done on anything other than Director unless you poked around under the covers..

Director (I use Director 8) is a complex, flexible product and I have no complaints about it. However, if it's not something you'll be be using frequently, it's difficult to justify the cost of the software and the time that you'll need to learn how to take advantage of its features.

Russ Shade
Anderson BDG