re: What is a White Paper?

Subject: re: What is a White Paper?
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:52:11 -0700

re: What are white papers?

The term itself, I think is designed
to make you think the report is something important, significant,
all-encompassing, and akin to gospel.

Actually, as I understand it, the term White Paper has it's origins in the diplomatic service. There were actually three papers, white, gray, and black. White papers were public policy statements-statements which a government acknowledged, black papers detailed clandestine activities that were disavowed, i.e. the black programs we all hear about from the military, and gray papers had enough truths to be informative yet not completely true, such as disinformation programs.

--
Marc

Marc A. Santacroce
Senior Technical Writer
Owner

ePubs, Inc.

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."