Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying?

Subject: Re: Summary: Are Redirects Annoying?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "List, Techwriter" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

I have a site that uses an immediate redirect. The reason for the
redirect is that is contains some javascripts for two purposes, that:

1) Point to either NS or IE opptimized site, depending on the browser
being used.
2) Point to a third site if the browser has javascript turned off in
their browser since I use some copyright safeguards thay only work if
javascript is turned on.
3) Get visitor count. I can access it, you don't see it.
4) Prohibit certain domains from getting in (don't ask).

The visitor doesn't even know they were redirected.

--- Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> I asked the question and got a lot of mixed responses:
>
> -Generally, the feeling was that redirects aren't
> annoying unless they are constant within a site.
> --Rather than redirect, go ahead and give the new URL
> whenever possible, since most people update their

=====
John Posada
Technical Writer
mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
732-259-2874

Only in America... do they have drive-up ATM machines
with Braille lettering

http://mail.yahoo.com/