Re: Skills

Subject: Re: Skills
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Melanie Burrett <wirren -at- golden -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:31:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- Melanie Burrett <wirren -at- golden -dot- net> wrote:
> Would a recruiter consider Classics to be
> equivalent to a degree in english? Personally, I
> would
> consider it to be *more* relevant considering a
> large
> part of the degree focuses on archaeology, which
> places
> a heavy emphasis on report writing...

This discussion is ongoing: who makes the better tech
writer? A literature major? A communications major? A
no-major?

I say it really doesn't matter. With that said, your
resume should reflect your writing skills - if that's
the kind of job you want.

In your cover letter, you should be able to point out
what you did to get your degree and how that's
relevent to this job.

I just bought a book to teach
> myself
> FrameMaker and XML. Does it matter *where* I acquire
> these skills?

Well, any certificate looks good. However, just
because I didn't take classes in Word, FrameMaker, or
Quark doesn't mean I can't use the program
intensively. In fact, I've found that people only
really learn an application when they have to use it -
otherwise, it's all just empty knowledge (and we all
know there's a difference between doing and applying).

=====
Jeff Hanvey
http://angelcities.com/members/jewahe

"There is fiction in the space between / The lines on your page of memories
Write it down but it doesn't mean / You're not just telling stories"
-Tracy Chapman, Telling Stories

http://mail.yahoo.com/