RE: naming conventions for images

Subject: RE: naming conventions for images
From: "Scott Browne" <sbrowne -at- directlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:38:28 -0500

Jeff Hanvey wrote:

<snip>
> The conventional way to name figures (and tables) is numerically by
> chapter.

> Table 1-1 is the first table in chapter 1. Figure 99-44 is the 44th
> figure in chapter 99.
<snip>
> Another possible naming convention is to use the page number the image
> appears on (if it's known).

> For example, 432_1.bmp is the first bitmap on page 432. You could also
> use 432top.bmp, 432toprt.bmp, and 432botrt.bmp.

I strongly recommend against naming graphics based on chaper or page
number. If you rearrange the chapters or insert a new graphic between
Figure 99-44 and 99-45, then your whole system is screwed up.

The software I work with has been around since the late 70's and has gone
through many evolutions as have the manuals. We still have graphics named
"Ch1pg35.bmp" and I can promise you that graphic has not been in Chapter 1
nor on page 35 in a decade. A name more descriptive of the graphic itself
would have been much more helpful.

Keeping the names as short as possible will be the hard part for you. We
don't worry about name length, and as a result, we can tell immediately
what the "ArrangeMoveToBackButton.jpg" graphic is without having to look
at it.

Good luck,

Scott
sbrowne -at- directlink -dot- net