RE: naming conventions for images

Subject: RE: naming conventions for images
From: "Fisher, Melissa" <Melissa -dot- Fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com>
To: 'Kimber Miller' <kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com>, 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:13:45 -0400

Here's a convention I sometimes use...

For toolbar button graphics, prefix with b_. For example, b_copy.gif.
For dialog boxes, prefix with d_. For example, d_save_file.gif.
For icons (on tree controls, status bars, desktops, etc.), prefix with (you
guessed it) i_, as in i_connected.gif.
Guess what I use for menu graphics!!!

Beyond that, I might categorize in subdirectories if the program is somewhat
modularized.

Beyond *that*, I don't try to be brief, because the more you try to
abbreviate, the more confused you will get. I once worked with a program
that had something like 900 graphics that we used screen captures of. To
make matters more interesting, I originally documented it in Windows 3.1. So
I had 900 .bmp files I had to come up with 8-character names for. I used a
convention similar to the ones above (b_ etc.) to categorize them by type,
and I used subdirectories, but I still had to come up with 6-letter
abbreviations for all those files. Ended up with stuff like i_stpt1p.bmp.
Nightmare.

Good luck, hth
Melissa Fisher
melissa -dot- fisher -at- delta-air -dot- com
(404) 773-8674