Re: The Perfect Productivity Metric

Subject: Re: The Perfect Productivity Metric
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:40:56 -0600

At 08:26 AM 00/07/11 -0500, someone wrote:

I regularly get bugs that state that the documentation is
lacking X. Well, X just happens to be in the guide.

When that happens to me I start to wonder if my manual _is_ at fault. Maybe the item needs to be indexed better, mentioned more prominently, cross-referenced to from other places, or reworded, etc. Or maybe there's too much superficial fluff getting in the way.

Granted, there will always be some people who will always call first, read second. But if people regularly don't see or don't notice or don't understand the import of something that is in the manual, then perhaps the manual is at fault, not the reader. I think it is easy for us to falsely assume that once it's in the manual, then our job is done.

Philip.