RE: internet searching PDF keywords

Subject: RE: internet searching PDF keywords
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 17:22:32 +0530

Hello Irene,

I do not think Internet search engines will look up the keywords in your PDF
file -- not at this moment at least. To me this is akin to expecting the
Internet search engines to look up words in your diagrams and pictures.
Some search engines provide the facility to search pictures and photographs.
This is possible as the photographs are indexed in text format. In other
words, each picture has a text keywords.

My suggestion to you would be to include the keywords in the pages where the
PDF files are offered. Then the keywords and the actual text on these pages
could be helpful to the robots and spiders to locate the desired PDF file.

Hope this helps.

From a humble technical writer in India... (who has worked mainly on
International projects for the last 14 years!)

Guru

P.S. You had asked this same question earlier by using the term Meta Tags.
Meta Tags is Internet or HTML technology and keywords is PDF technology. By
the time I realized what you were asking, it was too late. Hope I have been
of some help now.

Irene Wong asked:
If I insert keywords when I create a pdf file will internet search engines
(or some at least) search these words?

Irene Wong