RE: Purpose Statement for Style Guide

Subject: RE: Purpose Statement for Style Guide
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:42:33 -0700

> Our new management thinks that our Style Guide is a luxury and a waste of
> time. Can you provide me with some well-thought-out arguments as to why a
> tech. pubs. team would "need" to have one?

Just to play devil's advocate (it's Friday, and I'm groggy from
preparing a company rollout), could the new management be right?

Depending on the past experience of the new management, I can
imagine several rationales, some good, some bad:

- no one follows style guides anyway.

- most style guides are too hard to follow if you don't use them
everyday.

- so long as everything looks reasonably professional, who cares?

- only a few people need the information and they already know
it.

- the company frequently updates its look and image anyway.

- there's too many other things to do right now.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Their armament is being right (seeing right, doing right),
The armament of Righteousness is going to save the world."
- OysterBand, "The Generals Are Born Again"