Re: "Me too!" reviews (was SMEs and me)

Subject: Re: "Me too!" reviews (was SMEs and me)
From: "Dawson McKnight" <dawson_mcknight -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 14:42:58 EDT

"Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> writes:

Post a clear cutoff date for reviews, and enforce it; people will learn soon
enough that if they want to participate, it's up to them to meet your
deadlines.

The only step I would add to Geoff's good advice for a peer review process is to schedule a peer review meeting that signifies the end of the review process. My experience is that reviewers delay (and delay and delay) in delivering their comments, so I nip this in the bud by having a formal meeting with all of the reviewers to go over their comments. If you don't attend the meeting, your comments won't get in.

Also, it is my policy to allow reviews by invitation only. Distributing a document to too many people causes both delays in the delivery of comments and undue time spent revising to meet every whim. (A document can never satisfy EVERYONE perfectly.)

Regards,

Dawson