Re: SMEs and me

Subject: Re: SMEs and me
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:01:18 -0500

> re: ... yes, you do have to get along with him [SME], but no, you do not
> have to do things his way (unless your boss tells you so)
>
> Pretty naive statement, I'd say. Whatever happened to "the customer is
> always right?" Sounds like the motor vehicle department. The tech writer's
> customer is always the SME. The external customer belongs to the SME, i.e.,
> the team or person designing the product. I don't think this formula varies
> from company to company.

Pretty narrow view of tech writing, I'd say. For me, it's the other way around
-- my document *is* the product and I invite/hire SMEs to help me create it. I
can and do override them when necessary (which rarely happens, but sometimes I
do have to say "sorry, we can't do that"). I doubt I'm the only one in this
position.

Tracy
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc