Problems with WWP 6.0.4 and 6.0.5

Subject: Problems with WWP 6.0.4 and 6.0.5
From: Tom Eagles <teagles -at- DERIVION -dot- com>
To: "'wwp-users -at- egroups -dot- com'" <wwp-users -at- egroups -dot- com>, "FrameMaker List (E-mail)" <Framers -at- FrameUsers -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 09:58:34 -0400

Is anyone else having any of these problems:

1. when opening the help file for WWP 6, it takes FOREVER to open (on a PIII
500, with 256 MB RAM, and a 32 MB display adapter, using Frame 5.5.6)

2. when attempting to generate a WebWorks Help file, it chokes and does not
produce a file, or produces an empty file, or produces a file with no images
(does it not support TIF conversion to GIF?)

3. in the one instance we were able to produce an apparently functional
Webworks Help file, it also took an inordinately long time to open. I can't
imagine our users waiting that long for a help file to open

4. We tried this on four different computers. Same result on each.

5. Quadralay's tech support response was to tell me that the new 2.0 version
of Webworks Help is Java, not Javascript, and that accounts for it taking
longer to open. But should it take THAT long? They also suggested I try
6.0.5, which I had already done, with no success. A final note on tech
support's response: they suggested that I could the Javascript-only
iteration (and gave me the modifier for the script), but said that the
Javascript version doesn't support "Favorites." Oddly, in 5.0.4, IIRC, that
was a Javascript version and it DID support "Favorites." Wazzup widdat?

Anyone else having these problems? Other problems? We're <this close to>
going back to 5.0.4 and demanding a refund on "Professional."

The real kick in the pants is how much Quadralay asked for the upgrade cost
when we'd just bought licenses for WWP 2000 three months ago. We thought: if
it gives us better cross-referencing and better support for inter-file
linking, it's worth it. Who knows if it does, but it adds new and WORSE
problems for us.

Tom Eagles, Documentation Manager
Derivion Canada Corporation
100-65 Allstate Parkway,