Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:12:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Deborah Ray <debray -at- raycomm -dot- com> wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I've updated the TECHWR-L Poll with a new question:
>
> The documentation produced in your group undergoes formal
> usability testing
>
> * Always
> * Frequently
> * Occasionally
> * Rarely
> * Never
> * Not applicable/None of the above

I hope the responses to this poll are honest. So far, they show that we are a
long way from where many of us say we want to be on usability testing. Of
course, you have to take things as you are able to, and in my place we're still
teaching TW 101. Usability testing is somewhere in the 500s, I fear.

Of course, I realize that there are many among us who will say that there is no
reason for usability testing. I can just hear them saying, "Just cram all the
information between the covers of the documentation and let the user sort it
out. We don't need testing; we need results!"

However, I don't count myself among those sorts.

I'd also be interested in hearing from those who do manage some usability
testing about how they balance that need with deadlines and other deliverables.

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems