Ratio of tech writers to developers

Subject: Ratio of tech writers to developers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:43:57 -0700

"Chris Knight" <cknight -at- attcanada -dot- ca> wrote:

>When I last looked at this some years ago, the only hard studies had
>been done by IBM, in their Federal Systems Division, what works for
>the Defense Dept, and NASA, etc.
>hey concluded that a ratio of 7 software developers to 1 "information
>developer" (which is what IBM called their writers and curriculum
>developers etc.) was optimal.
> believe that Apple, by spending so much on the usability of their
>products, spend less on their "documentation", more like 12-20 d/w (new unit,
>"developers/writer").

It's interesting to get some hard information on this subject.
Thanks!

>> Similarly, if HR types see that there are 30 writers and only 1
>> writer, then that's a good sign that they should look into the
>> need for another writer.
>
>Yikes, Bruce! Watch out for mister cut-and-paste

I've learned the hard way that people with cut-and-past minds
will be with us long after the poor are a relic of the past. The
trick is to devise rules for them that will not only keep them
out of trouble, but keep them from getting anyone else into
trouble. An interesting challenge for a writer - especially when
this kind of person is in authority.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux