RE: HTML-help help: where do I start?

Subject: RE: HTML-help help: where do I start?
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:21:22 -0700

David M. Brown wrote:

> John Locke wrote:
> >
> > ... if you get the free downloadable "Export to HTML" add-on
> > from the Office Update site, you get much cleaner HTML.
>
> Quite right, but there still may be incompatibilities with some browsers.
>
> Take a look at the results in a good HTML editor, and test the
> exported files in any browser your readers might use.

Yahbut...

What you say is absolutely true for a web site. However, HTML Help uses only
Internet Explorer 4 or 5 (or later). It cannot use Netscape, Opera, or
anything else. IE is a requirement for HTML Help.

For that reason, I generally feel that the simple Word export is fine for
creating HTML Help, unless you plan to reuse the pages on an intranet/the
Internet... Not elegant, not pretty, but sufficient, and gets the job done
very quickly.

--John Locke
http://www.freelock.com