RE: HTML-help help: where do I start?

Subject: RE: HTML-help help: where do I start?
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "Becca Price" <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:10:32 -0700

Becca asks:

> now for the hard question: one help file will be able
> to be called from 2 different applications. Is there
> a way to make the text in the title bar change
> depending on where the file is called from?

Yes. You can define different windows. The title text is stored in each
window definition. Just have the separate applications use identical windows
with different names/title text.

The syntax you use is "topicname.htm>windowname". If your developers put
that code in, it should work. Some of the APIs have window parameters, but
none seem quite as reliable as putting the windowname after a greater-than
sign, at the end of the path.

re: saving as HTML from Word

Of course, this fills the HTML with all kinds of extra, useless, improper
HTML tags. But it is fast, and I've had reasonable luck with it since you
know your users are using Internet Explorer, at least version 4+. Word 2000
does a fair bit better job than Word 97, and if you get the free
downloadable "Export to HTML" add-on from the Office Update site, you get
much cleaner HTML.

Cheers,
John Locke
http://www.freelock.com