Style Guide Help

Subject: Style Guide Help
From: chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:36:42 -0600

I have been asked to create a style guide for our
department. It will be used for creating help
guides/manuals and handouts. I have never done anything
like this and was wondering if anyone out there could give
me a good starting point.

Is there a particular format that works best for a
departmental guide?
How do I determine what should be standard vs. personal
preference?
Is there maybe a reference manual that would help with this?
Has anyone out there done something like this? I would
really appreciate any help that I could receive on this.
Our department does not have any writers. It has just
fallen on me to create any documents as they are needed.
Since, I have never had any training, I try to stay very
basic with my instructions. I'm not sure if any of those
documents have prepared me to create something like this.

If this is a question that has already been dealt with, I
apologize in advance.

Chasity
"You're not dying, you just can't think of anything
good to do."
-Ferris B.

chasity mcwilliams
chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu