Re: RE: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: Re: RE: Tech Writer screening questions
From: chasity mcwilliams <chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:59:01 -0700

Having worked in Human Resources, as well as
Recruiting, it has always been my understanding
that questions about hobbies and interests are
not used to determine whether or not you are
going to have something in common with the people
you work with.Instead, its a way for the
interviewee to share who they are.
Interviewing processes are seldom personal.
Asking these "innocuous questions" gives the
person being interviewed the opportunity to let
their personality shine through. This is
something that no resume or cover letter can
gauge. So its from the responses (not the
answers) to the questions that a prospective
employer can tell whether or not the person is
going to have conflicts.

Granted, this system does not always work.
People have a million ways to answer the question
how you think they should. However, its usually a
good way to get the interviewee talking about
themselves. In the end that's the only way to
determine if the personalities are going to mesh
well.

chas

"I quote John Lennon 'I don't believe in the Beatles I just
beleive in me.' Interesting point after all he was the walrus.
I could be the Walrus...I'd still have to bum rides off people
---Ferris Bueller

----
chasity mcwilliams
chas -at- fcs -dot- uga -dot- edu