RE: Internationalization and multiple source bases

Subject: RE: Internationalization and multiple source bases
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- intl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:20:07 -0600

Jeff writes:

> we're planning to create a separate
> source base (in English) for each language. However, we will be making
> changes to the US docs that will also need to be made in other
> languages. We want to make sure that these changes are entered
> everywhere they're needed, and we want a better solution than just
> trying to remember to enter the changes in every source base. What is
> the best way to accomplish this goal?

Why don't you use conditional text and text insets (that is, Frame files
that are imported by reference) instead of maintaining mutliple versions? It
would take some planning, but after you get it set up, maintenance would be
simpler.

If you do go with multiple sources, use text insets for all common info. The
first approach (one source with conditional text settings) seems simpler to
me. Then you can use separate book files and control sheets for each locale
base.

Bill Burns
Lionbridge Design & Development
Technology Consultant