Internationalization and multiple source bases

Subject: Internationalization and multiple source bases
From: Jeff Williams <jwilliams -at- cybersource -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:34:39 -0700

Hello,

My company is about to start a major internationalization project. We're
just translating into Japanese right now, but we will have five or six
different translations in the future.
Because much of the information in the US docs will be changed or
omitted in other target markets, we're planning to create a separate
source base (in English) for each language. However, we will be making
changes to the US docs that will also need to be made in other
languages. We want to make sure that these changes are entered
everywhere they're needed, and we want a better solution than just
trying to remember to enter the changes in every source base. What is
the best way to accomplish this goal?
Thanks for your help. Oh, yes: We're using FrameMaker 5.5, and we use
Visual SourceSafe 5.0 for version control.

- Jeff