imperative/continuance/directive (was: Tech Writer screening questions)

Subject: imperative/continuance/directive (was: Tech Writer screening questions)
From: Philip Sharman <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:50:38 -0600

All right, I'll bite. What is an "imperative", "continuance", and "directive"? I've never heard these terms before and they aren't in my dictionary (at least, not in the sense that I believe they are being used here). Where are these terms used? Are they from rhetoric theory? They aren't grammar terms that I'm familiar with (although I grew up overseas so I may know them by another name).

For the moment, let's disregard the question of whether these are good screening questions ... I just want to have my curiosity satisfied.

Thanks,
Philip.

> Q: In what instance would you use an imperative vs a continuance vs a
> directive?
> A: i don't know = not very experienced
> A: An imperative is a ____ and is used to ____; A continuance is a ____
> and is used to _______; A directive is a _____ and is used to ______ =
> somewhat experienced or freshly graduated from college grammar
A: A document has quality and depth if all imperatives are followed
by a continuance and have a directive. An example from my portfolio is
______ = experienced