RE: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: RE: Tech Writer screening questions
From: Stephen Arrants <sarrants -at- roidirect -dot- com>
To: 'Jan Stanley' <janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:56:05 -0700

Jan Stanley [mailto:janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net] writes:
> Subject: Re: Tech Writer screening questions
>

> Susan Brown asks tech writer interviewees about their hobbies and
> outside interests. I would find such questions too personal in
> an interview. I don't know whether they'd actually be illegal in
> the U.S., as I believe questions about marital and parental
> status are [...]

As a rule of thumb, I've been told that if the questions does not directly
reflect the qualifications, training, or skills needed to perform the job,
they should not be asked. If a candidate revels this information in the
interview on his or her own initiative, you're OK. Otherwise you are opening
your company to potential litigation.

Stephen Arrants
Manager of Technical Communications
ROI Direct.com