Creating unauthorized accounts

Subject: Creating unauthorized accounts
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:09:16 EDT

Where I worked once, we had a department sysadmin who created accounts for
us. This was pre-networking, and it was a doc-group machine, not an
engineering machine, but he took his job seriously. One day he fixed a
problem in our two-man cubicle and left, forgetting to log off. To tweak him,
my cubemate and I created an account for "Duncan Doenitz."

When he found out, the sysadmin chewed us out, saying what a huge security
breach that was. Actually, I think he was probably embarrassed at his error
and fearful of losing his job. (Otherwise, how could he possibly not find it
hilarious? 8^)

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 S. Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
Jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902[V], 781.359.4500[F]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong