Re: Client from Hell redux

Subject: Re: Client from Hell redux
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 09:15:55 -0500

KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:

> Tracy B sez:
> > Yeah, and the highway patrol doesn't notice when I drive 6
> > miles above the
> > speed limit. That doesn't give me the right to do it.
>
> Of course it does.

BZZZZ! Wrong answer. The law's the law, whether you agree with it or not. The
fact that I want to break the law when I feel it's prudent and can get away
with it doesn't give me the *right* to do it, just as I don't have the right to
blow my nose in your food as long as you don't notice and it doesn't make you
sick.

> > (Yes, I
> > still do it knowing it's wrong, but I don't pretend it's my
> > God-given right,
> > and that's the difference between me and Andy P.)
>
> Well, Andy P. would probably not be hypocritical.

So admitting it's illegal, but doing it anyway, is hypocritical? I disagree.
Telling other people not to do it because it's unsafe while doing it myself
would be hypocritical. But I don't do that.

> You'd
> both do it (exceeding the posted speed limit, if the
> situation seemed to warrant it), but Andrew probably
> realizes that's not inherently wrong, in any moral sense.

Who's talking about morals? I thought we were talking about tech writing. :-)

> Bringing this back to TW ethics, if that company was so
> hilariously lax that they left their server room unsecured
> AND they left their servers without passwords, then it's
> hard to imagine them noticing - or caring if they did
> notice --that Andrew made himself at home.

It *is* a scary thought, isn't it?

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc