Re: Finder's fee

Subject: Re: Finder's fee
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 13:42:41 +0100

Joanne Meehl asks:
>A common practice in high tech is to pay employees a "finder's fee" or
bonus <snip>
>I'm curious: Is such a thing commonplace when recruiting technical writers?
>And if so, how much was the "fee", and was it paid to you once the new
>employee was there a certain amount of time?

I've noticed that many medium-to-large companies do this: it seems, at least
in the UK, to be a flat fee payable for any job the company's advertised.
(At my last place it hovered at £750 for a while, and, just before I left,
went up to £1000.) The money gets paid after a set period of time (3 months,
6 months) if the new employee works out.

I've also noticed that it seems to be traditional for the finder to split
the money with the new employee - after all, the finder won't get anything
if the new employee doesn't work out.

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.