RE. PMS Colors in Word?

Subject: RE. PMS Colors in Word?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:10:44 -0400

Wes Reisz wonders <<Has anyone ever attempted to set a PMS font color in
Word? ... if so, how? I might be missing something, but it appears MSWord
doesn't allow it.>>

If you're missing it, then join the club; nobody I've talked to, including a
couple of high-end service bureaus, had any idea how to get reliable color
out of Word. If you're printing PMS color, you need to be able to generate
spot-color separations as opposed to CMYK separations, and Word can't do
either: it uses an onscreen RGB color model. Even getting reliable color
with embedded PostScript graphics and an inkjet printer doesn't seem to be
possible; with a good printer driver you can come close, but that's not good
enough for truly reliable color output.

If we've missed something, I'd love to hear about it, but in answer to
Microsoft's "where do you want to go today?", the answer is "you can't get
there from here" with distressing frequency.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Technical writing... requires understanding the audience, understanding
what activities the user wants to accomplish, and translating the often
idiosyncratic and unplanned design into something that appears to make
sense."--Donald Norman, The Invisible Computer