RE. Should I start sending out my resume?

Subject: RE. Should I start sending out my resume?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:43:52 -0400

Kim Thornton wonders <<TPTB had moved the documentation group (which is me
and another writer) under the customer support area. Now I have been told
that we will report to the Director of Administration which is basically the
HR dept!... Should I start looking for employment eleswhere or am I just
overreacting?>>

On the face of it, that's not a good sign at all, since I've heard (and
experienced) countless horror stories about Human Resources (aka Personnel,
aka "Just what the hell is it that they do anyway?"). There's no way to tell
from here whether you're overreacting, so the best thing would be to start
asking your sources (other managers, colleagues in other groups, etc.) what
they've heard about the move. (If you don't have such sources, make a point
of developing them. You need to be part of the grapevine in any large
company so you know what's coming down the road at you long before you see
the headlights.) If you hear something sinister, it might be a very good
idea indeed to start getting the resume ready. But if not, why not be
patient for a while and see how things change? The important thing is going
to be whether your role changes, or whether it's just an exercise to redraw
the organisation chart every 6 months as specified in the company's mission
statement.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Ediot (ed' e ut) n. A person (usually an engineer) who, after giving you
material to edit, continues revising that same material without informing
you. -- Kimberlee Davis