Re: ALT 2, Brute'?

Subject: Re: ALT 2, Brute'?
From: "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com>
To: Glen Warner <gdwarner -at- ricochet -dot- net>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 14:23:27 -0700

At 3:48 AM -0700 6/4/2000, Glen Warner wrote:
>"Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com> wrote:
>> The generic advice for the alt attribute is that it should replace
>> the graphic, not describe it. (You can use the title attribute to
>> describe the graphic, if desired.)
>.... which does not work in Netscape, as I recently discovered.

Should work in Netscape 6.0/Mozilla, though. It is, as they say, Part of
the Spec.

>Also, I've noticed that (on occasion), my alt tags show up and appear
>truncated when I'm checking my work on a given page. Is there a limit
>to the number of characters you can have in an ALT tag, maybe?

There's no hard limit, but some browsers handle alt better than others.
Some versions of Netscape wrap the alt attribute within the graphic's
rectangle, other versions (and some versions of MSIE) truncate it, some
versions of MSIE present it as a tool tip, some browsers present it at the
bottom of the screen. (And of course text-based browsers just put it inline
with the rest of the text, so there's no length problem there.)

--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ jaed -at- jaedworks -dot- com
http://www.jaedworks.com