RE: Not Technical Enough

Subject: RE: Not Technical Enough
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 15:01:14 -0700

Dan Emory <danemory -at- primenet -dot- com> wrote:

>The English Lit majors will be out on the street, wishing they'd
>settled for an academic sinecure or editing position.

As an English major myself, I suppose I could take offence at
this statement. However, I know what Dan means.

The fact is, there's English majors and - well, English majors.

Those who learned how to learn while taking their degree can gain
the technical expertise they need very quickly. They have the
curiousity necessary to learn new material. And, because the act
of writing helps them to learn, they are especially good at
end-user material - although they can also be effective with
other audiences.

Those who lounged around and learned just enough post-modernist
jargon to write meaningless essays and to put down other students
are just as bad as academics and editors as they are at technical
writers.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Theirs is a land of Hope and Glory,
Mine is the green fields and the factory floors,
Theirs are the skies, all dark with bombers,
Mine is the peace we knew between the wars."
- Billy Bragg, "Between the Wars."