RE: Not Technical Enough

Subject: RE: Not Technical Enough
From: "Guy A. McDonald" <guy -at- nstci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:42:07 -0500

Dan Emory finished strong with ...

> My message is this: Those without a strong technical background
> who've specialized in documenting software GUIs are going to
> hit the equivalent of a gender-based glass ceiling as cutting-edge
> software inevitably becomes more and more complex and
> sophisticated. And the companies who develop that kind of
> software product are the ones who'll need large numbers of
> technical writers.

BRAVO! This is one of the reasons I returned to school. However, it was not
because I desired to beef up my engineering or technical background. I
identified with business press clippings that continued to moan about the
lack of tech savvy business smart talent in the IT field. Now that I am back
on the market, I notice a definite divide in upper echelon technical writing
jobs and mid-range positions. And thank goodness! For one, I think that
those of us who have knowledge and the desire to continue learning should
receive higher compensation. I enjoy working with SMEs and writers who have
a love and affinity to synthesize and communicate knowledge via different
mediums.

Guy McDonald
guy -at- nstci -dot- com