RE: Interesting XML discussion from TechWr-L [long]

Subject: RE: Interesting XML discussion from TechWr-L [long]
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:50:48 -0400

Hallo:

Very interesting, but based on the STC conference and outside reading, I
think you are ahead of the publication curve. Consider these thoughts:

* I don't believe XML publishing tools for small to medium sized
companies are here yet. Methinks they are up to three years away.

* Enterprise-level tools are here, but they are expensive. The idea of
using a database plus XML is extremely intriguing. Indeed, one session at
the conference glossed over how Oracle is heading down that path. But,
Oracle makes database software, so they have in-house expertise. Arbortext
Epic is the publishing engine they are using. They have been working on this
project for a while now --I could not get hard (or fuzzy, soft) numbers on
staffing hours or cost--let's say a year, and they are still not using the
system on a live project (this is good, I applaud the beta testing of such a
system!!!).

* Look at Interleaf for an XML solution. I am unsure about training
and support for Interleaf, but it claims to have a product. (I must have
missed Interleaf at the STC conference . . . last time I saw them was at
Seybold, where they claimed to translate into many languages including
"Swiss.")

* FrameMaker +SGML is by no means a perfect tool, but it will let you
create DTD/EDDs and SGML's rigid structure will translate well to XML. I
have not tried it, but you should ask about FrameMaker+SGML version 6 in
conjunction with Quadralay's WebWorks Publisher Professional version 6 for
creating structured XML output. (Regular FrameMaker--with WWP SE 6--does not
provided DTD/EDDs.) I would be hesitant about expecting any real development
dollars to go into FrameMaker from Adobe, especially considering the solid,
but underwhelming FrameMaker 6 release.

* FrameMaker and Interleaf are coming at this new online thing with a
decidedly paper-based background. Folks will throw words at you like
"paradigm shift," but consider this: database tools are also coming from a
background that did not include internet delivery . . . though there is less
of a "shift." Anyway, the idea of tools designed from the ground-up for
online output is a solid one, but what do we expect these tools to have that
our paper-based publication tools cannot migrate to?

If it were me, I'd investigate an SGML-based tool with the aforementioned
thought that XML publishing tools are not here yet and with the plan that
SGML structure will migrate much better than non-SGML stuff.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com